Armenian Women for Health and Healthy Environment (AWHHE) has launched a new project “Enabling Women to Participate in Sustainable Water Management in Armenia”, funded by The United Nations Democracy Fund.
This 24-months project, which started on 1 January 2019, aims to contribute to the sustainable management of natural water resources of the Ararat Valley by enhancing participation of women groups in the oversight of community water resources to ensure equitable access to water supply and sanitation. To do so, three interlinked groups of actions will be put in place: discussions on tariff compensation mechanisms to ensure equitable access to drinking water and sanitation by vulnerable and marginalized groups, at national level; monitoring based participation in oversight of irrigation water, at province level; and the implementation of four pilot projects, at community level.
Discussions on tariff compensation mechanisms to ensure equitable access to drinking water and sanitation by vulnerable and marginalized groups
- Participation at the 5th Meeting of Parties of the UNECE/WHO-Europe Protocol on Water and Health
- National Workshop
Awareness raising campaign
- KAP Study
- Interactive presentations on sustainable water and sanitation practices for primary school children
Monitoring based participation in oversight of irrigation water
- International expert advice on community participation in water resource management
- Training on irrigation water use management
- Community monitoring of irrigation water management
- Trainings for community representatives on the preparation of project designs
Implementation of four pilot projects
Taperakan, Ararat province
In Taperakan Community of Ararat Province, a 512 m long drinking water pipeline was installed with community contribution, which connects the newly constructed water main to the internal network of the community.
Berkanush, Ararat province
Meeting with Mayor of Berkanush to discuss community participation in the implementation of the pilot
Burastan, Ararat province
Meeting with Mayor and active women of Burastan